I’m hoping all of you have had a lovely holiday and begun the New Year on a great note. A lot of new resolutions, a lot excitement, fervour and zest … I’m going to exercise more, I’m going to eat healthier, I’m going to be more productive, spend less on shoes, participate in a marathon, 3 months alcohol free … etc etc … While there some we cannot keep , there are some we can. I’ve at least started eating healthier as I need to set an example for my little man, and also try n shed off those extra pounds I’ve piled on through the holidays. In school they’ve been teaching my son about junk food and healthy food, and so now before he puts anything in his mouth he asks, mommy is this healthy food or junk food ? Now I obviously cant be giving him junk and expect him to eat it, while he’s being taught not to. He adores cupcakes, and knows they classify as junk, but mommy says, once in a while junk food is ok ! Having set our limits, I’ve also started giving him beautiful healthier options, which makes eating it more fun. All kids love pizza’s so I made him these veggie loaded muffins in pizza sauce, and to him they still look like the cupcake without the frosting. He adored them and even helped make them. They were so soft and fluffy, and all those veggies and sauce made them simply delicious.
Cooking with your kids is so much fun, and these moments are priceless. Its a bit of a mess sometimes, but totally worth it. This Christmas I got a lot of wonderful presents. The favourite being my Kitchen Aid( finally, yay !!!), which I cannot wait to use ( still trying to stay away from the sweets and extra calories ) and some really neat kitchen gadgets from Savora. I got a garlic press and cheese grater, and I absolutely adore them. Not only do they make my kitchen counter look snazzy and hip with their bright colours and sleek design, but are also very useful, and whats more my 3 yr old uses them with great ease. You can find Savora Style at Bloomingdale’s (in US stores), Dillard’s (in US stores), Gracious Home (US based), Belk (US based), John Lewis (UK based) or check them out at their Facebook page or Pinterest boards.
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
- 1 cup boiled sweet corn kernels
- 1/2 cup diced red peppers
- 1/2 cup diced yellow peppers
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar or mozzarella cheese
- 3/4th cup homemade pizza sauce
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup extra light olive oil
- 2 eggs
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Prepare your muffin cases, line them.
- Sift flour and baking powder into a large bowl. Stir in sugar, corn, peppers, parsley and cheese. Whisk pizza sauce, milk, oil and eggs together in another bowl. Add to dry ingredients. Use a large metal spoon to stir until just combined.Divide mixture evenly between muffin cases. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre of a muffin comes out clean. Stand for 5 minutes before turning onto a wire rack. Serve warm or at room temperature