The only thing I want to talk about this time is this unbelievably, irresistible, mouth watering, flavorsome cake. It is warm with spices, its moody, its got smokey tones and it’s the perfect Adult cake. As the name suggests, the hero of this cake is the Fresh Ginger, the Molasses and the Strawberries. But let me tell you its would be nothing without the kick of the spices and freshness of the cream.
For the longest time I’ve wanted to get my hands on a jar of Molasses. Its not easy to find where I am, and somehow its always on my mind to pick up a bottle when I’m traveling or ask someone to get one when they’re coming in from outside, but somehow I always seem to forget to do it. And in all my years of cooking and baking I finally got my hands on one! You cannot imagine my delight when I saw it on the shelf of my corner store, they finally imported some!
And ever since I’ve been itching to make this cake. There are these cookies I’m eyeing, but this one first. It’s a recipe by David Lebovitz, and it’s a full proof recipe. I’ve changed it a tiny bit, but I’d blindly follow this recipe. The cake was literally wiped out in a couple of minutes.
The cake is packed with flavor and every bite warms you from within. Spices like Cinnamon, Chai Spice, Black pepper, the fresh Ginger and the caramelizing of the molasses just fill up the house with such a wonderful scent, you’d never want to stop baking.The cake is moist, has a good crumb and tastes good both warm and cold. Just as is or topped with fresh cream and strawberries. For the frosting I chose to whip up cream cheese with some lightly sweetened whipping cream and vanilla bean. And Strawberries are just the right berries to lift up this mature spiced cake.
Ingredients for the cake:
- 3 tablespoons fresh Ginger, finely grated
- 1 cup Blackstrap Molasses
- 1 cup Brown Sugar
- 1 cup oil ( canola / rice bran / sunflower )
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Bean paste
- 2 1/2 cups Flour
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon Chai spice
- 1/2 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 teaspoons Baking Soda
- 2 Eggs
Heat the oven to 180 C.
– In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the ginger, molasses, sugar, oil and vanilla until smooth.
– In a separate, smaller bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients; flour, cinnamon, cloves, black pepper, and salt until combined.
– In a cup of boiling, add the baking soda and pour the water-soda mixture into molasses mixture. Whisk to combine.
– To the molasses mixture, add the dry ingredients and eggs, whisking well to incorporate. The mixture will be runny, but don’t worry – thats correct.
– Pour the batter into an oiled 9 inch cake-pan or equally in (2) 6 inch pans.
– Bake for 1 hour or until skewer comes out clean.
– Allow to cool completely.
- 180 gms Phildelphia Cream Cheese
- 200 ml Whipping Cream
- 1 tbsp icing /castor sugar ( add as per taste )
- 1 Vanilla Bean scrapped
- Fresh Strawberries
( note : this frosting s enough to spread thinly all over, if you like more frosting increase the quantity by double )
– In a stand mixer, beat the cream cheese till soft.
– Add the scrapped vanilla bean
– Pour in the cream + sugar and whip it all together till stiff
To assemble the cake
– Slice the cake in two halves. Spread a layer of the cream cheese mix and layer with sliced strawberries on one layer of the cake.
– Place the second layer over and repeat.
– Chill the cake and wait for the cream to set a bit before you serve.